Frequently Asked Questions on CPPD, WSIB, and ODSP

Which program am I eligible for?  If you got sick or injured recently and cannot work, it creates an enormous stress and financial burden. To make your ends meet, you start to look if there are support programs. You may come across terms like WSIB (workers’ compensation), ODSP, CPP disability benefits (“CPPD benefits”), EI sickness benefits, short-term and long-term disability benefits. Now your confused and wonder which program you should apply to.  Each program has different eligibility requirements and benefits. The programs also have different definitions of ‘disability.’

For example, programs like CPP disability benefits and WSIB benefits are linked to your employment status. Some programs provide a monthly payment, while others also cover medical fees.  Therefore, your answer to the above-noted depends on your employment status, medical condition, and the benefits you are seeking. If you have difficulty deciding which program would meet your needs, contact us online or call 416…. We can navigate which program you would qualify for based on your specific situation.  

WSIB: I was injured at my workplace and had to stop working. Which program would I be eligible for?  The key factor is that your injury occurred in your workplace. Therefore, you may be eligible for WSIB benefits if your workplace has WSIB coverage.   WSIB applies to employees in Ontario. However, not all businesses are required to have WSIB coverage. Therefore, you need to check with your employer whether the company is registered with the WSIB.   If you have coverage, both you and the employer are responsible for reporting the injury to the Workplace Safety Insurance Board. You can make your claim for both temporary and permanent impairment as long as those impairments are caused by your work.   The payment to compensate for the loss of earnings will be calculated based on the wage your received. The coverage may provide health care benefits to cover fees for medical treatment, hospitalization, and medical devices.   You may also check if your workplace has short-term or long-term disability coverage. The may provide different benefits depending on the coverage your workplace has.  

CPPD: What if I got an injury that prevents me from going to work permanently/for a long term?  If your disability is severe and prolonged and prevents you from going back to work for a long term, you may be eligible for CPPD benefits.  As you can see from the name, the benefits are part of the Canada Pension Plan, which is a federal program.  The program provides a monthly payment of a set amount until you turn 65. The is calculated based on how much contribution you made to CPP while you were working. However, it will not provide health care benefits that may be available under the WSIB program.   You will find the details of the eligibility and application process here.  

ODSP: I am receiving ODSP. Can I also apply for CPPD benefits?  ODSP is a provincial program that supports individuals in financial need and who have a substantial mental or physical impairment. The benefit is calculated based on household income, assets and living costs.  It means that if your household has sufficient income or assets to support you, you may not be eligible for ODSP.   Even if you are on ODSP, you may still apply for CPPD benefits. However, your CPPD payment will be considered income. Since the ODSP benefit amount is calculated based on the household income, your CPPD Benefits may decrease the amount you receive form ODSP.  If your CPPD benefit amount is greater than what you are receiving from ODSP, it may revoke your ODSP eligibility as you are not in ‘financial need.’ This can prevent you from receiving health benefits such as dental coverage and prescription drug coverage.   Possible impact on your ODSP health benefits will vary depending on the situation. For example, if you are receiving $200 more from CPPD than what you are receiving from ODSP, this will stop payment from ODSP. However, if you are spending $300 monthly for your prescription drugs and medical supplies that are covered by ODSP, you may still be able to get the health benefit through ODSP. This is called an Extended Health Benefit.  For more information regarding ODSP health benefits for people who are no longer eligible, please visit here. 

EI: What is the difference between the EI sickness benefits and CPP disability benefits?  They look similar as they exist to support individuals who are unable to work for medical reasons. However, there are several differences. 


Short term illness or prolonged disability o EI sickness benefits cover situations where you cannot work due to temporary illness or sickness. As you will see in the application form, it asks the doctor to indicate a date when your medical condition would end.  o CPPD benefits are designed to cover long-term and permanent disability and medical conditions. The key is to prove that you are not expecting to go back to work. 


Period of benefits o Since EI provides temporary benefits, you can only receive them for a certain number of weeks (15 weeks). If your condition prolongs beyond those 15 weeks, you may apply for CPPD benefits. 


On the other hand, CPPD benefits will continue until you turn 65. This is when CPPD benefits are switched to your CPP retirement pension.  


Calculation of benefit amount o Your EI benefit amount will be calculated based on your earnings. You could receive 55% of your earning. The maximum amount you can receive is $595.00 a week.  

o CPPD benefits are calculated based on the past contribution you made to the CPP program. You will get a set amount every month regardless of what your most recent wage was.  

Can I get disability benefits from multiple sources?  As we have observed, there are different sources of disability benefits. You may be eligible for more than one of them. For example, if you have personal disability insurance coverage, you may be eligible for both your personal insurance benefits and CPPD benefits. However, this does not mean that you will receive thousands of dollars from multiple sources. Usually, the insurance offsets the income you are receiving from a different source. Therefore, the total amount of your monthly payment will not double just because you have two sources of benefits.  

Would my personal insurance payment (Long Term Disability Insurance) go down once I receive my CPPD benefits?  It is possible. It will depend on the insurance policy you have. If your insurance policy allows the insurance company to deduct the payment once you start to receive CPPD benefits, the payment amount you receive from personal insurance will go down.   However, it does not necessarily mean that you will get less money. You can get the same or similar amount from two different sources: CPPD AND LTD.  There is a good reason why you should still apply for CPPD benefits. CPPD benefits can be more stable source of income. With long-term disability benefits, you never know when the insurance company will deem that you are ready to work and stop the payment. With CCPD, you will be able to get the payment until you turn 65 as long as you meet the requirements.  

I am already receiving a retirement pension. Can I apply for CPPD benefits?  If you stopped working due to disability and are already receiving a retirement pension you may still be eligible for CPP post-retirement benefit. Please note that post-retirement disability benefits will switch into the CPP pension play in the month you turn 65. 

Can I move to a different province while I am on CPPD?  CPPD benefits are federal program. Therefore, moving to a different province will not affect your eligibility. Make sure you notify Service Canada and update your new address in case they need to contact you. If you are also receiving benefits from a provincial disability program such as ODSP, you may lose your eligibility as you will not be a resident of the province. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.
You need to agree with the terms to proceed

Open chat
Can we help you?